Global Leadership Summit: Dr. Henry Cloud
I am a pretty big fan of Dr. Henry Cloud’s. His talk this afternoon was entitled “Reversing the Death Spiral of a Leader,” and he brought it.
Henry started off by reminding us all of something that we all know… but don’t like to admit: the hardest thing for a leader to take charge of is himself. From there he spoke about how we all go through tough seasons, and have a tendency to get into spirals of decline when we sense that we are losing control. It is during these times that leaders can fall victim to a sense of learned helplessness. Learned helplessness sets in when we start to believe the three P’s:
- Personal: Taking everything personal and believing that the problem is you.
- Pervasive: Believing that your struggle isn’t related to one area, but your whole life sucks… leading us to react poorly.
- Permanent: This is the kiss of death for a leader, the place where they lose hope for the future because things will never change.
Henry finished up his talk by giving us three ways to reverse the P’s:
- Log and dispute the negative stuff that is in your head. Write it down, compare it to God’s word, and realize that the negative self talk is not truth.
- Regain control: figure out what you can control, and what you can’t control. Make a list of both and focus on those things that you CAN control.
- Connect. Our brains run on oxygen, glucose, and relationships. Connect with people around you and talk through what is going on, and help each other move on. Keep in mind that the opposite of bad is love, be with people you love.